Welcome to the autistic athlete dot com, a blog by me, Kelsey, an autistic athlete. Yes, you read that right: autistic athlete. No, that combination of words is not a mistake, a joke, or an oxymoron.
Why a blog about autism and athleticism? Why not?
Also because: I‘m frustrated.
I’m frustrated that as an autistic person who is also an athlete, I don’t see my experience represented in the autistic community, or in either of my sports—CrossFit* and weightlifting.
(*Lots more to say on this in upcoming posts.)
I’m frustrated by the lack of knowledge about autism in general, and especially among people who should and need to know—coaches, trainers, and healthcare and wellness practitioners, etc.
I’m frustrated by the lack of knowledge among that same demographic—coaches, trainers, and healthcare and wellness practitioners, etc.—about how autism affects athleticism, and overall health and wellness.
This blog is a way for me to work through these frustrations while also educating readers and documenting my progress as an athlete.
A few important notes and disclaimers:
- My autistic experience is my autistic experience. I don’t speak for all autistic people, and my experiences are not representative of all autistic people. While we share a neurotype and many commonalities, we are a diverse population with diverse abilities; accesses, opportunities, and privileges; and interests. I only speak to my experiences.
- There are many intersections of autism and general/overall health and wellness that I’ll touch on, and many that I will not. Why the discrepancy? Because: see the above bullet.
- I’m not a personal trainer and this blog/site is not a “how to” for getting into general fitness or exercise. It’s a record of my experiences with and progress in my sports, and adjacent things like nutrition, injury, interactions with coaches and medical professionals, etc.
- I’m not a doctor, a mental health professional, or any other type of health or wellness practitioner or provider, professional or otherwise. The content I share on this blog/site is educational and informational (and maybe sometimes entertainment). Nothing I share on this blog/site is directed or implied medical, mental health, or general health and wellness advice and should not be taken as such. I am not liable for risks or issues associated with using or acting upon the content I share on this blog/site.
- If you’re seeking medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment, please consult a medical professional or healthcare provider.
And with that, let’s get started.